German citizens living in the United States can renew their passports at their nearest German consulate so they can travel abroad. Start the application process well in advance of taking a trip, as it can take several weeks for your passport to process. Additionally, you need need to make an appointment to visit your nearest German consulate.

Schedule Time with the Consulate

Book an appointment with the nearest German consulate in the United States. Germany has consulates in Florida, Puerto Rico, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco. You can book your appointment online, up to nine weeks in advance.

Say Cheese

Have a passport photograph taken; the application requires two identical photos. German passport photo specifications state that your photo must be 35 by 45 millimeters in size, taken on a plain, bright background, with a color contrast in your hair and skin tone. Face forward with a neutral expression, looking directly at the camera. Head coverings are not allowed except for religious reasons; if you are wearing a head cover for a religious reason, your face must be fully visible. Have the image printed on photo paper in black and white or color, and ensure it's clean and undamaged.

Get It Together

Obtain a copy of the German passport renewal application from the nearest consulate or print the form at the German Missions in the United States website. Complete the form legibly with a blue or black pen, or you will risk having your application delayed or denied.

Assemble the requested documents. Submit all of the following items, plus an additional copy of each: Previous German passport, completed application form, original birth certificate, U.S. residency permit and proof of your U.S. address. U.S. residency permits can include a U.S. resident alien card, U.S. residency visa or a U.S. passport. Either a U.S. driver's license or a utility bill can serve as proof of your U.S. address. If you had a German address on your previous passport, you need to bring a certificate of deregistration, so your new passport can be updated with your new address.


If your marital status has changed since your last passport was issued, you must also bring the original and a copy of your divorce certificate, marriage license or spouse's death certificate, so your passport can be amended.

Visiting the Consulate

Go to the consulate for your appointment with your materials and your passport renewal fee. Expect to be fingerprinted. Pay the passport renewal fee and submit all of the required documents. If applying for a minor, you also need to bring certified copies of the passports of both parents. The child must appear with the parents at the passport appointment. Dual citizens will need to bring their U.S. naturalization certificate, or "beibehaltungsgenehmigung," with them.